Monday, 7 October 2013

My take on: THE IVY (The Ivy #1) by Lauren Kunze


Also find this review on my GoodReads and BookLikes.

3 Stars.


This book was mentioned in an episode of Gossip Girl and when I saw the cover...damn. I was sold. I knew I just had to read this book. It’s not that gorgeous but I don’t know, this cover just called to me. Finally I got a chance to read this and I’m glad I wasn’t too disappointed either.


This is the most chick-lit-ish book I’ve ever read, conisdering the fact that only chick-lit I’ve read is Pretty Little Liars and Private series, which had more suspense than drama. 

The Ivy , in my opinion, was a lot like Private excluding the murder-mystery part and the infamous Billings House, other than that they both had a very similar protag, group of friends and setting. 

I’ve no intention to do a detailed review of this book. I’d just like to mention a couple of things.


First, I do NOT enjoy stories with a Queen Mean who is capable of doing the evilest things you can imagine (But Mean Girls is one of my favourite movies ever, go figure) and a lot of backstabbing, plotting, cheating and two-timing. This is the reason I didn’t watch Gossip Girl Season 4 either and was about to leave this book in-between. I am very weak when it comes to this and with the way this book ended we all know what the first thing is going to be in the sequel so I’m thinking about dropping it. I cannot digest all this cruelty. 


Then, I didn’t like Callie much. She was ‘okay’ for me in the beginning but became downright insufferable when she did something she shouldn’t have towards the end. She pretends to be the nice girl who cares about her friends throughout the book but the truth is, she does some pretty awful things but feigns as if she didn't or blames it on other people. She rationalizes her terrible behaviour by some means or the other every time.

Except her, all the characters were tolerable, Mimi, Gregory, Clint, OK, Vanessa – all of them made quite an awesome gang and not to forget they were incredibly funny! 

Alex’s character was over-hyped, though. She was described as the evil incarnation of Regina George but she didn’t do anything except insulting Callie once or twice. I guess that’s because she didn’t have much role in this book… but who am I kidding, she is gonna be the star of next one! So, I think, in this her character was only meant for introduction, she’ll do the real damage in the following book.


I’m not sure if I should read the next one because of my very low affinity for stories involving Girls Being Bitches. Although, this one ended on a massive cliff-hanger and I am a bit curious to know what’s on the other side.


First read and reviewed on GoodReads on June 14, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment