Tuesday, 15 October 2013

My take on: SCANDAL (The Ivy #4)


Overall series 3.5 to 4 Stars.

So, I read the 2nd, 3rd and 4th books in one go and don’t remember much of the story because it’s all mixed up in my head but one thing that I am certain of is that I AM MISSING ALL THE CHARACTERS ALREADY!

This series was a fun-filled, fluffy, fantastic experience! My college has been very hectic lately and all I needed to read was a light-hearted series set in a college so I decided to pick this up as I had enjoyed the first book, more or less.
There is not much in-depth story in these books; they center around a girl named Callie and her love-triangle in Harvard. I know, all of us are BORED TO DEATH of love-triangles and it was not given any special treatment in this series either. The love triangle in this case was as equally frustrating and exciting and then frustrating again like in the other books. Rest of the plot is also recycled and borrowed from other TV Shows or books we’ve read; it’s not very new or extraordinary.
But I like love the setting of this series. Man, oh, man! The way Harvard is written in these books makes you feel that Harvard is the place to be.

The university in which I study, Manipal Univeristy, Manipal is my country’s most “happening” college and people drooool over because we get our degrees just for partying day and night but now that I’ve read about Harvard, my college looks like a duck egg in front of it. If I start writing about it, this will turn into a Harvard Promotional Ad rather than a review because I am THAT smitten by it as of now. The main theme of this series was to write about Harvard and its lifestyle; characters, plot, everything takes a back seat here and while writing good amount of attention was paid towards all the criteria. Studying, relationships, competitions, frenemies and enemies were written into the story very well and proportionately. Not one aspect was promoted or ignored too much.
Another thing to mention is that the writing is very consistent. There are some series you read where one book stands out and becomes your favourite or a book is so bad that leads the series to its grave, but The Ivy is not like that. All 4 books are measurably fun, despite there being a love triangle the characters don’t get on your nerves. Callie still remains my least favourite character in the series but she is a lot better than those wimpy-whiny troop of heroines we have read and loathed.

Did I mention that I AM TOTALLY MISSING THE CHARACTERS?

I fell in love with each and every character in this series. From OK to Tyler, Every.Single.Person (Lexi and Clint being the exceptions, of course).
See, one of the strongest advantages to have is to write a set of characters that readers will adore, so no matter how obnoxious your storyline becomes, readers will come back to read it just for the sake of them (and yes, I am referring to Through the Ever Night here, I read tried to read it just for Roar). And not just that book, there are so many other series I continued only because of the characters, so, I think Lauren Kunze has brilliantly nailed this department. And while we’re talking about “nailed stuff”, I should definitely mention the chapter beginnings and all those cliff-hangers. Every chapter in the books began with either an article in a Harvard mag or newspaper, e-mail conversation, someone’s facebook page or a party invite which I think was one of the catchiest things about it, and…..the cliff-hangers. All the first three books ended on such exciting moments that I started reading its sequel the same minute because I just had to know!

So, final assessment :-
- Appealing characters.
- Alluring setting.
- Entertaining writing.
- Engaging plot.

I have no complaints with this series – I was a bit irritated of the love triangle but it gets sidelined in the wake of such amazing, above mentioned factors.

Recommended to everyone who has had a tiring schedule and needs something girly, humorous and obsessive to cheer up! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment