Sunday, 1 September 2013

Mini-review: REBECCA by Daphne du Maurier



Also find this review on GoodReads.

5 Stars.


"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." 


This is undoubtedly the most haunting opening line of any book ever. From the very first line itself this book maintains a chilling tone which will make your heart beat faster and scare you when you’re alone in your room. 

The only mistake I committed was reading Mary Higgins Clark’s A Cry in The Night before Rebecca .They both were eerily similar to each other in the beginning, that was a good book too but this one was miles better.

But good thing their resemblance faded after first 130 pages or so, this book took a more sharper and sinister turn later. Every single thing led to build up an ominous feeling inside you, as if a shadow is following you.
I can say I simply loved this book, it was just perfection to me. The writing was disturbingly beautiful and buffed to supremacy. 
I recommend this to all mystery/horror fans out there. Rebecca is the epitome of precision, doesn't get any better than this. 
Must-read, this one.

Read and reviewed on GoodReads on April 12, 2013.

3 comments:

  1. Ah I am yet to read this one. *Ashamed*

    Great review Anushka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read this soon!! It's one of my favorites as well. You know, Rebecca is not even there in the book and yet she's the protagonist.
      Great review Anushka :)

      Delete
    2. @Samadrita : Scarlet is right. You MUST read this soon!

      Thanks, both of you. ^_^

      Delete